Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Lighter Side: Survival Skills for the Introverted, Middle-aged Parent of an Extroverted Preschooler

I am the middle-aged mother of four adults. I am also the middle aged mother of one lively four-year-old. These statements alone sound like the set-up for an amusing joke. And, indeed, there are days when my main survival tactic is to sit back and laugh. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
What is it like to have a young child when the rest are grown or nearly grown? I will answer that by listing some things I have learned in hindsight:
1. I had a lot more energy when I was in my twenties. I used to run and climb in the playground with my kids. Now, I can be found sitting on a bench, finding a myriad of polite ways to decline my child's pleas for me to join her on the slide. Which brings me to...
2. Siblings who are close in age can entertain each other. I am now my four-year-old's main source of entertainment.
Me: I love playing with you sweetheart, but I just need to go to the bathroom now. I'll be back in a little bit.
Her: Okay, Mommy.
Her **Two seconds after I sit on the toilet** : MOOOMMMY, where are you??
Me: Sigh.
3. Extroverted children like to talk. A LOT. My older children are varying degrees of introverts, or at least extroverts with introvert tendencies. Which means they all have moments of needing quiet reflection and recharging. Not the little one. It is rare that she stops talking, other than to eat, and sometimes not even then. Her little brain is always going. Did I mention she is also an early riser? My brain isn't awake till about 9 AM, so I have to fake it for two hours.
Her: Mooommmy, can we play a game now?
Me: Mmhmm. In a little bit.
**Three minutes later**
Her: **pokes my face** Mommy, lets play!!
Me: Ow. **ZZZ**
Her: MOOOMMMY!
Me: Sigh.
But lest I sound like a mean mommy, here are a few other things I've learned:
1. I have a bit more wisdom than when I was in my twenties. I used to overreact to the smallest things and miss the sweetest things. I like to think my four-year-old has helped change my perspective.
2. Siblings who are far in age can be close in heart. I love watching my older children interact with their baby sister. She lights up when she sees them, and I can just see the love in their eyes, too.
Her: I love you, Bob!!
Big sister: I love you too, Pookie.
Me: Sigh :)
3. Extroverted children show their feelings freely. This means the bad with the good: sometimes, she can have a whopper of a bad mood. But when she's happy, it's downright contagious.
Her: Mommy?
Me **Slightly exasperated from a few hours of nonstop chatter**: Yes, honey.
Her: You're the BEST Mommy I ever had in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!
Me: Thank you sweetie. I love you so much.
Her: I love you so much, too!!
**Smothers me in hugs and kisses**
Me: Sigh <3

No comments:

Post a Comment