Wednesday, June 28, 2017

I am who I am- Thoughts on Exodus 3:7-15 and 6:1-8

As I contemplate the sorrow of my family upon learning of the passing of a dear relative, my Bible study assignment this week seems most fitting to the occasion. 
Looking at Exodus, we are told in 3:9, "And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them." (NIV
And also in Exodus 6:2-3, we read, "God also said to Moses, “I am the Lord. 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty,[a] but by my name the Lord[b] I did not make myself fully known to them." (NIV)

No matter what turmoil believers may go through, God remains the same. When it seems that we are all alone, God sees and hears every pain that we endure. When we feel forgotten, God not only remembers us, but He cannot forget who He is and his covenant with those who believe. Even when we have doubts, when our faith is weak, God remains faithful, because that is who He is. He has given us also the promise of redemption, and the promise of His presence. He is the One that is, and He will be with us. 
I also find it encouraging that, even though the Israelites doubted and complained, God remained faithful to His Name, his Nature, His Promises. Our trust in God's faithfulness enhances our experience of seeing His response to our needs-if we trust like Moses, our experience is intimate and faith-building. If we doubt and complain, we will see God as far off and disinterested, even though He is near and cares for us. And still, in ether circumstance, He is faithful, and acts when He sees and hears our suffering. May He open our eyes to see Him at work in our time of need.
Rest in His eternal peace, dear cousin. May God enable us to experience His presence with us in our time of grief, as surely as you, dear cousin, are in His loving embrace today.

No comments:

Post a Comment